Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sherlock Holmes and Inkheart


I know people have been talking a lot about the new Sherlock Holmes, but I couldn't resist giving my opinion too. I must say I loved the movie, for a thousand reasons, and watched it three times already! I read a lot that this adaptation didn't have anything to do with the book, but they are very wrong.
The problem is people got used to think the 'original' Sherlock Holmes is as portrayed in those old Basil Rathbone movies. Actually, those movies twisted the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle tales! And I was expecting another disappointment from this movie...



Guy Ritchie and Robert Downey Jr surprised me completely. I didn't think they were worthy of their roles. But they rocked it! Ritchie was very meticulous and Robert studied his part very well. He understood Holmes, the agitation of the mind, the limitless curiosity, the lack of responsability... Jude Law was great, as usual, and I don't say that just because he's charming.
An Kelly Reilly! She was great. She should be given more parts. Rachel McAdams too. By the way, she was so gorgeous. I wish I had her clothes in this movie, and in The Notebook too.
I wanted to point out something not everyone notices about the movie: the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer, I think he is brilliant - he made it for Pirates of the Caribbean too. It sounds chaotic, but resembles Irish folk in some way... really liked it.


About Inkheart... I always wanted to watch because of Brendan Fraser (I just simply adore with all my heart The Mummy). I heard a lot of people saying it's quite bad, but I decided to see it for myself.
I thought it was quite okay. The idea is really good, I guess that they just didn't explore that well. And the visual is very pretty, beautiful landscapes. Probably the book is better, I want to read it very much.


The movie is about Mo and his daughter Meggie. When Mo reads aloud, he brings fiction to life. The last time he did it, from a book called Inkheart, he set free some villains who took his wife Resa away. In his desperate search for the book to fix it all up, he, his daughter and an aunt are captured by the same villains. They want him to read out a creature that is the essence of evil in the bok, but they will do anything to escape, save Resa and put everyone on place.
Wish I read the book. I loved the idea.

2 comments: