Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Celtic Mythology


   I've just finished reading a book about Celtic mythology. I find mythology fascinating, and know a good deal about the Greek one, and a bit less of the Norse. But Celtic has always fascinated me - you can't avoid being tempted to know more about them after reading The Mists of Avalon, which I did when I was eleven.

   Well, a few weekends ago I went to a bigger city nearby to find the perfect prom shoes for my dress and I couldn't resist to take a look at the bookshops. Jonas (my boyfriend) and I happily completed our Tolkien collection, thanks to the low prices on the books in English (the translated ones are scandalously expensive), and I found these rarities: books about mythology written by brazilians! Brazilians, if you don't know, generally don't pay any attention to it. Yet these two authors, a man and a woman who write together, have books on all kinds of myths: norse, celtic, hindi, greek and even our native's folklore.

Tumblr_lvfw1of7ee1r2zdh7o1_1280_large

   Due to short money, I bought only the Celtic and the Norse ones. The tone is not as documental as I would like (as it is in famous Tomas Bulfinch's The Golden Book of Mythology), but there's a fairly good range of myths.

   The celtic one presents myths from Ireland and Wales. The myths from Wales were better organised, I think because they were taken from a scottish woman's recollection of tales. It works fine as beginning material, but I'm thirsty for more detailed and numerous stories.

   Let's see about the norse one. Sometimes, I will share a piece of story with you - they are so entertaining and fun! The ancient really had a prodigious imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment